Flywheel Mangets flying off - 1979 Evinrude 235hp V6

I bought the motor used on CL. I put it on the boat and went out twice over the weekend and once on Tuesday. When starting it up to return back to the ramp the starter wasn't spinning the flywheel. I gently moved the flywheel back and forth and it started. I didn't want to run it with whatever problem it was having so I got towed back in.

I got it to start again at home, and the flywheel moved free afterwards. Now the flywheel is locked up and metal pieces from under the flywheel are loose and hanging down between edge of the flywheel and the rectifier.

What could the problem be? The lower unit is free, propeller spins, and the motor was just spinning freely. In 24 hours of sitting it locked up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Sure the engine is a 235? The 235 flywheels had magnets cast into the flywheel and it's unlikely they would ever come out. Maybe a similar looking, but later model called the 175. Those engines look identical, except many of the 175's had the high capacity 35 amp vented flywheels. It was these later units which used a different flywheel. The magnets were glued in at the factory. With age, the sometimes the magnets inside the inner ring of the flywheel get loose and can cause the situation you describe. The factory makes expoxy glue kits as well as glue kits wtih new magnets.

Sure the engine is a 235? The 235 flywheels had magnets cast into the flywheel and it's unlikely they would ever come out. Maybe a similar looking, but later model called the 175. Those engines look identical, except many of the 175's had the high capacity 35 amp vented flywheels. It was these later units which used a different flywheel. The magnets were glued in at the factory. With age, the sometimes the magnets inside the inner ring of the flywheel get loose and can cause the situation you describe. The factory makes expoxy glue kits as well as glue kits wtih new magnets.

Thanks, I'm was pretty sure all wasn't lost.

I was told it was a 1979 235. Can't find the model on the number on the transom mount, its gone and its been painted. Is there any other way to find out exactly which model it is. Are those flywheels interchangeable? I have attached some pictures,

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
This engine has all the markings of a later 175, maybe a 1990. It has the 35 amp alternator with the vented flywheel that I mentioned earlier. It has a single power pack, which would have "quickstart" and "slow" ignition functionality. That pack first was used in the 89 model year. It has the later carbs with the removable plate the top. First used in model year 1986. The cowl is from a 1990. All that said, it could be a 235, but the peripherals indicate it's a later model than you thingk. All those parts will bolt right on to a 235, however. The only way to really know is to look at the stamped serial/model number on the casting plug atop the block. It's probably painted over, but you can clean the paint off to confirm just exactly what year it really is.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Pull the flywheel and see how bad it is. Look for a core plug on the block about the size of a quarter which may have a model # on it.

Pull the flywheel and see how bad it is. Look for a core plug on the block about the size of a quarter which may have a model # on it.
Thanks, I looked at 175 Flywheels on Ebay and it matches up, it looks to be a Johnson 175 582573 flywheel. When I pull the flywheel and if it looks "bad" would this still be repairable by putting on a new flwheel and or magnets?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like the glued magnets could be your problem. I have heard that the strap under the flywheel is not a good thing to do it has been known to cause problems

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The factory glue kit is all you need. The flywheel is good until the center magnetic timing ring slips, or the gear teeth go-then throw it away.

Last edited: