Little black pieces in head cover 1964 28hp Johnson

I'm ready to put the head cover back on the block, but I have 3 pieces of black plastic that I'm unsure of where they go or if they even belong in the cover. I've got one, but I remember one or two other pieces that I've lost or thrown away. They are all identical. The only place I can think of where they might go is in the little 'outlet' slot on the top right part of the cover. I'm not sure what this spot is for, but I believe the pieces were in this area when I took the cover off and they can be wedged into that spot. I have no idea what their function would be, but I don't want to leave them out if they're supposed to go there. Also, if they do belong, anyone know a part number for these little tabs? I can't find them on the exploded diagram.

Many thanks!

chi_town

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'm having trouble visualizing what they are, but I'll darn sure guarantee they don't belong in that water passage you speak of. You say they are plastic, not rubber?

I'm having trouble visualizing what they are, but I'll darn sure guarantee they don't belong in that water passage you speak of. You say they are plastic, not rubber?

I'm 98% sure they are plastic. And they are all shaped just like that one. It might be difficult to see the depth of the piece, but I'm guessing it's between 1/16-1/8" thick.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you sure they are not pieces of your impeller,they can assume odd shapes after being knocked about in a water passage for a while.

nwcove

Admiral
the piece in the pic sure looks like an end off an impeller vane. heres one i just hacked off an old impeller

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I immediately thought "impeller", but the plastic word threw me. I agree, it probably is impeller tips (rubber).

nwcove

Admiral
I immediately thought "impeller", but the plastic word threw me. I agree, it probably is impeller tips (rubber).

if the pieces have been " cooked" in the head for a length of time, they will feel more like plastic than rubber.

nwcove

Admiral
^^ for sure!! and with any luck, the op found all the pieces that are/were floating around in the cooling system!

Are you sure they are not pieces of your impeller,they can assume odd shapes after being knocked about in a water passage for a while.

Thanks guys. That's exactly what they were. I compared it to the existing impeller and it's exactly the same as the last 1/4" of the tip. I *hope* I found them all. I knocked the old welch plugs out of the top and bottom of the head cover and it's clean now. I've rebuilt the lower unit and didn't find any in there. There's always a possibility that one or a few pieces may be lodged in the pipes that transport the water from the impeller to the head, but I don't know of any way short of a fiber optic snake cam that I can check that. Again, thanks for the help guys. I don't think I would've ever thought of those being tips from an impeller.

chi_town