Johnson SPL Conversion

crossotter

Recruit
I'm on the final step of a conversion from remote to tiller run operation on a J28ESLCEA. I have 2 questions left. (I think) Was there even a tiller run model of the 28SPL? Is there some type of parts diagram available of the mechanism that keeps the shift lever in gear? (Without using a cable assembly) Thank you in advance for any and all input.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I don't know the answer to your question but I would look at the 25 or 30hp models of that same year class and determine which is closer to the same. I do not believe te 28spl was ever offered as a tiller but I could be wrong.

crossotter

Recruit
I believe my motor is a 1989. Apparently evinrude.com only had manuals on 97 on up Boobie but thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors were the same for many , many years.-----Just look up the tiller handle part.---No need to be year specific.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 28 SPL is just a derated 30HP engine. Everything shoudl be the same except for a few bells and whistles that would have been included on the 30HP engine...Ex: VRO, T&T....stuff like that. i would think that you could purchsed tiller kit for a 3-HP and it would hook right up. I would look up the different engine diagrams and see.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 28 hp SPL had the old style split lower unit.----Perhaps an effort to empty a warehouse of these leftover units from the 1970's

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Crossotter...I just sent you a PM with the URL for the engine diagram your looking for. Looks like there are only a few mods and parts that need to be purchased to make this work but the problem is getting the parts for an engine that old.