new used boat with 2000 evinrude 225 2 strke

schu3507

Recruit
hello folks. first post because first sea worthly boat. I just purchased a 2000 pro-line 23ft walkaround. Boat has one of the FICHT 225 engines. Its has 560 hrs on it and I did a sea trail for about 1.5 hrs. Seemed solid and shown no issues. I purchased boat long time Gloucster resident. He seemed fanatical and very well informed. Question I have to ask, is this a time bomb engine? It has been serviced by Evinrude tech and has had all software updates done. H20 and plugs every other year and filters every season. Ive tried search engine on forum but many are older. Thoughts on one of these engines in 2014 with 500 plus hrs. I know maintance is huge factor and seems thats covered. Probably be first of many posts because Ive always felt these forums are best outlet for advice and info. Thanks in advance.

Only a certain few models of the Ficht engines were problematic, a little searching online will quickly tell you which ones. Even on those, if all the service bulletins have been complied with they should be fine. And IMO I don't think 500 hours is all that much for an engine.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Change impeller yearly,only run a OEM oil for DI engines, do not lug it and run it till it blows. Problem now is geting parts as BRP does not support it anymore ad what part they do is pricey...