Fuel Pump output pressure? For 76 Johnson 70 hp

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
What is the pressure supposed to be on the fuel pump and can I hook up a electric fuel pump?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I wonder why you would want to put an electric pump on it anyway. I suppose different strokes for different folks. But the original pumps are simplicity in itself. Why change?

OK, to answer your question, pressures should be (tank vented):
1 PSI @ 600 rpm
1.5 PSI @ 2500-3000 rpm
2.5PSI @ 5000 rpm

....... can I hook up a electric fuel pump?

Sure, you can hook up an electric pump. But how are you going to have it shut off if there's an accident or some catastrophic failure of the engine? 4-stroke engines have the fuel pump wired through an oil pressure switch to accomplish this, that's not possible with a 2-stroke so you gotta' use some other means.

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks I took y'all's advice and went with the regular fuel pump

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
Do you have to have the wafer looking gasket that is under the cap with the screen?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The wafer gasket would prevent the pump from pulling air in.-----Gasket must be there to pull fuel from the tank-----The original pumps are very reliable and repair kits are cheap.----The motor must have good crankcase compression to drive the pump.

Last edited:

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
It has the o-ring's just not the wafer one will it still suck air without the wafer and just the o-ring's?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The newer style pumps / replacements used an o-ring instead of the gasket.-----If you are having trouble with the pump working then check the fuel tank pickup tube.-----Or are you going to say you have a new tank and hose ?

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
No just ordered a new pump and it did not have the wafer gasket. And no not new but all clean on tanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Why are you asking about the gasket? Does the new pump not work?

Johnmari

Seaman Apprentice
Just didn't hook it up until I found out that it didn't need the wafer gasket and yes it works

Last edited: