IMPELLOR & KEY , 1988 JOHNSON 50 HP

dickhead

Recruit
Found this boat sitting in a back yard, did carbs and changed impellor amoung amany other things. Motor kept dieing after a minute in the lake and discovered "no key" for the impellor. Didnt have one when i took it apart he he ! So now after waiting 5 weeks I get this little plastic tearshaped key ( What !? they dont make this in SS) Geez ! So Im ready to get this baby back together and Umm which way does the Impellor go on. Only half of the inside collar fits to the key -fine I get that. But if i pu the implr on the easiest way and going Clockwise, the shaft pushes the key against the Impellor Collarwith the slanted teardrop side and no the truncated side. Completely irrational thought to me, especially at those rpms. And the workbook and repair manuals say nothing, drawings dont show it it either. It only goes one way, if i flip it the way that "seems" common sense I would have to force the key in under the collar. Not a good Idea ! Any one know what Im talking about so i dont have to wait another 4 weeks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: IMPELLOR & KEY , 1988 JOHNSON 50 HP

Gary...welcome to the iboats forum...<br /><br />The large end of the key should face forward and the flat keyway on the drive shaft. If you look at the impeller, there is only one way for it to go on. And also remember that the impeller always turns clockwise. Don't turn it counterclock wise after it's installed. Could break off a fin.<br /><br />One other thing Gary....your author name...D***head. Not real appropriate for the forum. Might want to change it for one of the Moderators catches it.<br /><br />Have any further questions, please post and keep us posted to your progress. Thanks.

dickhead

Recruit

The manuals do not cover this well enough. I undeerstand the flat side of the key against the Shaft. But the key is shaped like a wedge - OK.<br />Now the easist way is to place the wedge going clockwise of course leaving the cut off portion perpendicular to the shaft and impellor. Meaning that there is far less resistance or support or energy transfered to the Impellor. MOST keys have a perpendicular surface running from the shaft to the Impellor or pulley or whatever..<br />Before working on it I expected this to be simple AND it should be !!! But this critter just doesnt make since - I have worked on a lot motors. I will make a drawing and email it if that helps. reply to my em for sketch. Thanks !!! testo@ispwest.com ****head is what i feel like right now !!! Im a pretty good mechanic and here is this tiny plastic fingernail piece that has made time stand still !!! I just cant believe they would design the key to run in that position ?????? Thanks again !

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I know it looks goofy...but that's the way it works. BackA**wards to the way ya' think. Again if you look at the key way in the impeller, there is only one way for it to go on.<br /><br />I'll send ya' an em and you can get back to me that way.<br /><br />Don't feel like a D***head. I've done some stupid things myself.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Gary...repost your email address....I got a return on the one you posted.<br /><br />Thanks....