Evinrude Tilt/Trim Mystery Problem

Ichthyus

Cadet
Greetings! My 1994 Evinrude 175 tilt quit. Only previous symptom of anything wrong was a little judder in the downward tilt in the high-speed range, happened for montths. Otherwise all great until she quit. The solenoids click and there is voltage going to the trim motor but not a peep from Mr. Motor. So the trim motor is shot, right? Well I pull it all apart and when put power to the (now free) motor, she spins! A miracle? I put her back together, she runs up for a few seconds, then sounds weak, runs down, sounds strong, rrrr...DEAD. Now its like it was before I started this miserable job. Is an intermittent electronic motor failure a likley event? I would have figured it would would either live or die. The trim motor is not that old - six/eight years - but gets a ton of use because i'm constantly in very shallow water (Chesapeake Bay) Dare I risk replacing the motor with an (expensive) new (nonreturnable) one? Or am I missing something critical that will make me slap myself in the head and be happy I asked the community? Thanks in advance - Mac in Annapolis

rothfm

Ensign
Greetings Ichthyus, first post...Welcome

Classic bad motor symptom. Put an ohm meter accross the leads, should be continuity in the lower range if not close to zero. Those motors crap out in that way. Corrosion in them etc... Might work a bit, might not. I've put in the less price aftermarket/ebay ones with good results.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps you have a single open winding on the motor. That would cause it to work when not under load, and stall when under load.

Depending on how it is wound, you may be able to test for an open winding with an ohmmeter.

Ichthyus

Cadet
Thanks, Guys! I'll haul that thing outta there tonight and check the resistance across the leads. If its a "single open winding", its replacement time anyway I presume. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out! Mac

Well I pull it all apart and when put power to the (now free) motor, she spins! A miracle? I put her back together, she runs up for a few seconds, then sounds weak, runs down, sounds strong, rrrr...DEAD.

I have the pleasure of dealing with failed motors from time to time where I work. What you're describing is worn brushes. Depending on the motor it might be straightforward to replace them, on others it could be a bear. And fwiw, I've replaced a trim motor with a unit from a reputable ebay supplier before with good results.