Vernatherm working correctly? Tested on stove top, inconclusive results.

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am familiar with thermostat actuation, but Vernatherm elements are more mysterious to me.
When I tested my Verna on the stove today, the piston extended fine, but would then only go back down by merit of moderate to heavy pressure. Is this normal? I realize the Verna valve is spring-loaded, and that is what pushes it closed, but should it be difficult to push the piston back into the down/open position, or not so much? I would say the level of pressure required would be similar to that needed to crush a large jelly bean b/t your fingers, maybe a bit more.
Thanks

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh yes, definitely. If this link will work, it explains everything. If it works, disregard the paragraph following.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...valve-stuck-water-flow-issues-74-johnson-85hp

If not, I'll make it quick for you. The boat would pump water until RPMs increased, then it would stop (or I should say only steam would come out of the tell hole, which is installed in the right cyl head wall). Oh and we're dealing with a 74 Johnson 85 here, fyi. I was thinking possible a stuck thermo, or something to do with the cooling system. Impeller is new.

I'm thinking the Verna might've been locked up with corrosion from sitting so long. When I put it in the hot water on my stove, it gave a good jump at the bottom of the pot, which I think was the piston popping free. At this point Im just not sure how hard the piston should push back in.

Thoughts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It won't go in by itself, you need to push it back in. Of course the spring does that when assembled. All normal