decarbing

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
i want to do a decarbing on my 2004 40 h.p 2stroke , been reading a few treads on how to do it ....pretty simple i'd say.
deep creep, engine tuner seem to do it from what I was reading. after I do the decarbing and soak time can I just
run it with muffs cuz to blow it all out , I can't get to a lake right away to run it at WOT.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
You can do it at the lake and it will smoke like hell at first. I would bring a new set of spark plugs and change them following the de-carb. I use Sea Foam to decarb my 2 stroke outboards

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok.....but can I do the procedure at home with out going to the lake?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
YES ;) As long as you are on muffs it will work fine AND smoke even more since the prop will be open to the air. I have had neighbors come over to see what the "fire" was since there was so much smoke.

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok....this is the first time doing this. so I after doing the decarbing and smoking up my yard......lol I want to let it sit over night to soak in....right?
then the next day run with muffs and run all the cabon crap out. or I can take it to the lake and run it, will it smoke during this time?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Not like it did while spraying the seafoam into the carb throat, but may a bit. I prefer a high speed WOT run on lake to blast it all out properly. Bring spare plugs as stated.