Carb jets spitting

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have noticed that after running my 120hp Evinrude a few times that a little gas was coming from the cowl. I opened it up and found the gas was coming from a hol at the bottom of the air box. I took off the air box and it had a little bit of gas sitting in the bottom. After running the motor without the cover on I found that each of the carbs are spitting some very small droplets of gas into the air box. I am hoping someone can let me know what would cause this and what I can do to correct the issue.

See this picture of my carbs for where the gas is spitting from.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
OMC have been producing an engine of 120hp since forever, but they are not all the same, some were crossflow, some were loopers, some were 4 strokes. It would help us to help you by letting us know what it is... A year would be a good start, and if it's 2 or 4 stroke, and (if you know) what the induction system is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not recall a 120 HP crossflow on the market.----They were the " looper " style engine !

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, It's a 1987 Evinrude E120TXCUR 120hp. After running it this weekend, I took off the cowl yesterday and there was a puddle of gas mixture sitting in the bottom of the cowl. I took off the air box and ran it a bit and didn't see any major leaks coming from the carbs. The only gas exiting the carb area was these tiny spits of gas coming from those orafices.

Just in case you cannot see that other picture, here is another link. http://www.pensacolafishingforum.co...11959979-carbs-spitting-some-gas-carbspit-jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That spit back is normal. Just make sure the seal on the air box is good and the drain hose for the box is hooked up to the intake manifold. Years ago some 3 cylinder 70HP motors did the same thing and it was normal.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That spit back is normal. Just make sure the seal on the air box is good and the drain hose for the box is hooked up to the intake manifold. Years ago some 3 cylinder 70HP motors did the same thing and it was normal.

I assumed a little spit back is normal, but I assume I shouldn't have a puddle of gas on occasion under the cowl?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Is that hose from the air box to the intake manifold hooked up ??

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is that hose from the air box to the intake manifold hooked up ??

That's a good question. My last 1983 50hp Johnson motor had a small hose that went from the bottom of the air box to the manifold, but I have never seen one on this motor and I've taken the air box completely off. Is this model supposed to have one as well?

I always thought that "drain hose" was to deliver air to the manifold. It's job is to drain fuel into it?

Looks like I am missing a drain hose according to the Intake Manifold schematic on marineengine[dot]com.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It's job is to deliver excess fuel from the air box to the intake manifold. Part # is 329695. All two cycle motors have spit back out of the carbs and the air box collects it.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The drain hose is located internally in that air box. Not externally visible.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Then why do they show a hose coming from the intake manifold for the air box drain in the parts brake down ??

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After playing with the motor and testing it a little more I've found the majority of the gas is coming from the tubes located on the top and bottom carbs on the left side. The tube the gas is leaking out of is right under the opening. I'm not sure what this tube does or is called. It seems like once the bowl on each carb fills up with gas it starts leaking out of this tube, especially when I trim the motor all the way up to trailer it.. I've taken apart each carb and the float seems to move freely in each. Any idea what would cause gas to come out like this?

http://screencast.com/t/lRs2t1tNY28

Last edited:

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Could you post a pic of it ??

That screencast link in that post should be a pic of it. In case though, here is a pic. photo210743.jpg

Update: No matter what I do it attaches the picture as a tiny image.

Attachments

• attach8832831.jpg
    attach8832831.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
  • attach8832841.jpg
    attach8832841.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
With the engine lowered and the engine off, prime the fuel bulb til its firm.
How long does it stay firm?
It should for at least a minute, mine does for half an hour at least