replacing head cover bolts with studs

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have any ideas on why head cover bolts shouldn't be replaced with studs? I have a few to drill out and was thinking of drilling them all out to 1/4-20 and using studs. I figure then if I need to remove them again I won't have to turn out the whole fastener and twist them off again. I plan on replacing the head bolts and possibly exhaust cover bolts with studs as well. Oh engine is a 76 Johnson 75hp 3 cyl. 75elr76

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. You couldn't turn them because of corrosion build-up around the screws. Think of what a joy it will be getting that cover plate off a bunch of studs with corrosion build-up around them. BTW, in case you are thinking of it, don't use stainless steel screws either. Corrosion build-up is worse around SS than steel. And SS is harder to drill out if you do break one.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well with studs i could just undo the nuts and slide it off. I'd put anti sieze on the studs so it wouldn't corrode as easy. Usually studs game better holding power as they only have force being applied in one direction straight out not out and twisting like bolts. Plus you put studs in once and don't have as many opportunities to damage the threads.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well with studs i could just undo the nuts and slide it off. I'd put anti sieze on the studs so it wouldn't corrode as easy. Usually studs game better holding power as they only have force being applied in one direction straight out not out and twisting like bolts. Plus you put studs in once and don't have as many opportunities to damage the threads.

Ought to be good for a few years. By that time, I might not care any more (considering my age).

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Head bolt's thread pitch must not change, otherwise the the same nut torque leads to a different head/gasket force.

With studs the head must be removed/mounted a few inches in parallel to the block. So you may need a little more room backwards.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Merc uses studs on their powerhead bases on some old blue band red bands ive operated on.

The studs always seem to come out better than the bolts on the omc bases, maybe thats just because someone had put on anti seize last time it got changed.

Ive never had a problem with heads bolts, you may of just being thrown in the deep end with that one so changing to studs might be a bit of an over reaction.

Mine are salties