Pulling on starter rope does not engage flywheel

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1970 33hp Evinrude - when I pull the rope there is no resistance and the flywheel is not engaged. After taking the starter assembly off and pulling on the rope, I can see that the three parts that engage the flywheel do not rotate out to engage it. In fact those three parts move pretty reluctantly like there is too much resistance where the ears fit under the nylon washer. Is the nut in the center on too tight? If so, how much should I back it off?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you don't have enough friction to bring the dogs out. Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up you motor and see if it's put together right. And don't back off the nut in the center or you'll have pieces all over.

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Glad you said something about the nut in the center. I was considering backing it off. My thinking was that there was too much friction at the spot where the dog ear fits into the center assembly and that that was preventing the dog from extending due to the centrifigal force created when I pull the rope. You're saying the complete opposite in that the friction created when i pull the rope grabs the ear and thats what extends the dog so it can engage the teeth on the top of the flywheel. Correct?

Here are a couple of pictures. Two of the dogs are extended. One is still retracted. I believe it is put together right because it was working fine before it started to fail. It would catch sometimes, then not so often, then rarely. Then not at all. If I manually extend the dogs and then bolt the assembly to the motor, it will catch just the first time pull the starter rope.

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Forgot to add that I have a starter and solenoid and I am looking for a flywheel for electric start. Is that all I need? I just use the manual choke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
For some reason the parts in the center hub are not creating enough friction to pop the dogs out when pulling the rope. To much grease or oil ??

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cleaned the nylon washer and the piece above it with some alcohol and a rag. Still no luck. Even tightened the center nut a little bit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Did you look at that parts break down in shop.evinrude.com ??

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
It is possible that the the little pin on the spindle has slipped out of the hole in the pulley. Is the nut still intact on the top side of the casing? When you pull the rope does the spindle move? I have messed with the same rewind starter for days only to find out i was missing the nut. If the spindle moves at all it wont grab it will just skip.

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Sorrry took so long to respond. I have attached a photo with the parts that do not moved marked with a red X.

Attachments

• photo210003.jpg
    photo210003.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 4

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmmm.....I don't know what happened to my pictures. Anyway, I have looked at the parts diagram and it's really hard to tell if it is put together as per the diagram. What I can say is that the pull starter used to work just fine. So I would think it is probably put together correctly. When I pull the rope the pulley, the pawls and what looks like a nylon washer that the pawls are resting on all move together. Everything above that (when looking down on the assembly) which would include the spindle does not move.

I guess I'm gonna have to disassemble down to the pawls to see if the pin is still in there correctly. But I assume the fact that the spindle is not moving indicates the pin is doing its job. Hmmm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The nylon washer is not supposed to move as it acts as a brake to bring the pawls out.

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After disassembly, it appears that the problem is that the two ridges on the inside surface of the spindle bushing 309513 are almost completely worn off. I had previously referred to this as a washer but now that I can see the whole thing, I can see that it is a nylon bushing.