Trolling speed problems

bbrazier

Recruit
I have a ’93 Evinrude 9.9 hp motor that I use for trolling. I’ve had it for 10 years, always ran great. A couple of years ago it stopped one afternoon on the lake after I was trolling for 4-5 hours. Took forever to start again but finally got it going only for it to stall again in about 5 minutes. I repeated the starting routine over and over and finally made it to shore.Took it into a shop that specialized in Evinrude and left it with them for the winter. In the spring I picked it up and they told me that they had gone over it, couldn’t find anything wrong and that they had run it in their tank for hours on end without it stalling.

Got it back in the lake and went through the same routine as above.
I’m wondering if it’s the fuel pump? Here’s what it does:

Choke out and starts 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] pull. Warm it up for a couple of minutes.
Put it in gear and away we go.
Five minutes later, it stops.
I was in the habit of waiting 5 minutes and it would start again but this time I worked through this little scenario:

Once it stopped I noticed that if I tried to start it again right away that it would turn over once, sound like it was going to start and then die.
Then I would pull out the choke, pull it once and it wouldn’t start.
I would then push in the choke, pull it once and it would start. It would also rev up on its own and then once it slowed a bit I could put it in gear.

IF I held the throttle/handle really tightly in place it would move along but not at a good trolling speed and I had to listen to the motor very closely. It would sound like it was going to stop and I would give it a shot of gas and it would recover. I had to repeat this the entire fishing time. If I tried to slow the idle down to what is a reasonable trolling speed it would die. Very frustrating to say the least.
I've always used a 50:1 ratio of gas and oil and always use fresh gas. It will run forever at higher speeds.
Could it be something other than the fuel pump? Any thoughts?

kbait

Commander
Your carb has a plastic 'cover' that the low speed mixture needle screws into. Check that cover carefully for any hairline cracks.. that'll let air in, and your motor won't idle consistently. Could be fuel pump.. if you have to pump bulb to fill the carb bowl after stalling OR it's flooding the cylinder that it's drawing it's pulse from (in that case, you'd have a torn diaphram that's leaking fuel into that cylinder.

Good luck!