1999 johnson 25 hp question!!

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1999 johnson 25 pull start ...Ok just wondering if someone can please help me, on the side my motor where the electric start motor would go there's a bare ground wire that's bolted to the side my bracket and the other end looks like it bolted on to a little screw that screwed in to what looks like the fuel connector, but its not connected when I bought motor can anyone tell me what is this for I never ran motor yet will this hurt it from running good?

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1999 johnson 25 hp need answers!!!!!

I have a 1999 johnson 25hp pull start I just bought the fuel connector was not hooked up and there's a bare cable wire grounded from black frame connected to head and the other side looks like it was connected to a screw that held the fuel connector on motor it's not connected and It don't have screw is it ok if I run boat without it hooked up or should I hook it up somehow ....I guess my question is will it make it run any better

kbait

Commander
Just a strap ground from powerhead to chassis.. You won't hurt anything by running disconnected, but I'd connect it back up, since that's the way they designed it.. Don't know if it'll run any better connected, you'd think it'd cause an all or nothing electrical issue when disconnected.

Good luck.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That ground is there to keep you from getting shocked in the event of a short in the engine. it will run without it connected but I would def celan it up and hook it back the way it came from the factory just for fire and safety.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One more question how do you properly seafoam my motor do I just pour it if gas tank or do I put a little bit direct in front carb?........motor been sitting up for 3 years would like to decarb it

kbait

Commander
Get the motor to running temp in a barrel, set to high idle in neutral, and spray/squirt seafoam directly into carb throat. Just a bit at a time will slow rpm's, but not kill motor. Continue for 30 seconds and you'll see a bunch of smoke in the exhaust. Squirt a bunch in the carb to kill the motor. Let sit for an hour or so, and fire it up. It will SMOKE! I like to drop the boat in the lake after the sitting time and run wide open for awhile to blow all the crap out (and keep the neighbors happy).

Good luck!