1972 evinrude selectric wont shift HELP!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect the big multi-pin plug and look for a bunch of corrosion that might be fouling things up. Do you have a good wiring diagram? Here ya go....
http://s19.postimg.org/tcovgyd83/Wir...r_verified.jpg

As you can see, the green shift wire isn't connected to anything when in forward gear. When in neutral, it is connected to the ignition switch "IGN" terminal by way of the blocking diode. When cranking in neutral, the green wire is connected to the "IGN" terminal as above, but it also is connected internally through the ignition switch to all three terminals ("ign", "start", and "battery"

You will get some electrical schematic practice by the time you finish figuring this one out.

Last edited:

tate456

Cadet
there are two separate posts on my ignition switch as well as the battery ..one is dead one is live ...there is also a tan wire with the purple wire to the bocking diode on that post ..that wire seems to trip the solenoid on the back ..I recently replaced the starting solenoid last year and am wondering if I didn't hook it up incorrectly and maybe this is the start of my wiring dismay I will snap some photos of inside the box and post them up either later this eveving or tomorrow ....another thought that I am having is eliminating the blocking diode and just running switches on the dash with new wires going to the back ...seem this would eliminate the problem and I could eliminate all the old wiring

tate456

Cadet
Alright so after scratching my head the only think I can come up with is that when I apply the 12v at the back green wire and the engine tried to crank is that the blocking diode inside the box is open allowing voltage both ways if this is possible which applies voltage to the white wire ..causing the engine to crank I am going to remove the diode from the equation resupply the voltage at the back and see if it stops my cranking issue if so then I have isolated this as a probable cause for at least part of the issue ...does anyone know the voltage or amperage of that diode I have a family friend who is very knowledgable in such things and could supply me with a replacement diode if I know the specs