1972 evinrude selectric wont shift HELP!!

tate456

Cadet
Okay so I purchased a boat with 1972 evinrude selectric 100 hp on it the buttons all seem to work and once in a while it Will shift fine on land and occasionally in water the problem I have is most times I'm stuck in forward ....now if I leave it in neutral and rev the engine it will hit neutral but once I idle down it will usually hit forward again ....I've tried the obvious stuff ..New type c fluid full battery adjusting the idle etc ..... I'm at a loss if anyone has any input it would be much appreciated it's a great running engine outside this issue Engine model number 100293-r

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I used to have a 1968 , 85 hp electric shift and if memory serves me it has a blue and green wires that run down from the power head to the magnets with a set of disconnects behind a diamond shaped plate on the midsection just above the LU with no voltage its in neutral, so you may have a bad shift switch, or some thing is sending voltage to the LU magnets. i am sure the grues will know a bit more.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The topic of Hydro-Electric shift has been discussed here so many times, that I guess we get tired of typing it over again. Do a search and if you are still in the dark, we can be of help.

To sum up your problem, you either have a electrical problem like a bad shift switch or wires, or you have a hydraulic problem in the lower unit. Basic electrical troubleshooting methods apply to the first. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the hydraulic part without going into the lower unit. So.......obviously the first thing to do is electrical checks. If it is all good, then it's on to the next part.

However a clue here is that RPM seems to have an effect. That suggests a hydraulic problem. But don't assume. It could also be receiving higher voltage from the alternator at high RPM, which translates to more voltage being applied to the shift circuit.

Now that I have you thoroughly confused, start with voltage checks at the blue & green wires leading down to the lower unit, and resistance checks from there down. If you don't know how to do voltage and resistance checks, that is another lesson.

I'm betting on a bad push button shift switch because they are notorious for that. But don't assume----TEST.

EDIT: See, there I go assuming just because of the shift switch reputation. But thinking about the RPM factor, I'll go out on a limb and bet the blocking diode is open or missing. The blocking diode is between the ignition switch and shift switch. If the diode is open or missing, the shift supply comes entirely from the alternator, which is affected by RPM.

Last edited:

tate456

Cadet
Thanks for all the great replies guys fr what does the blocking diode look like?

tate456

Cadet
Also I have spent some time searching and I can find alot of problems but no one with intermittent or rpm related

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A blocking diode looks like a glob of epoxy in the middle of the purple wire. I'm really curious as to whether I guessed right.

Last edited:

tate456

Cadet
Is this something I can jump to test or does it need to be replaced

Last edited:

northface

Seaman Apprentice
My experience has been that the blocking diode will prevent the ignition switch from shutting down the engine. They are easy to test with a continuity tester. You should be getting continuity in only one direction.

Personally, I don't think this is your issue. I would follow FR's advice and search the forum for the procedure to test. Start there and follow the steps and I think you'll isolate your problem. Make sure the low end is full with type C oil. If you are low on oil you will have shifting issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove spark plugs.-------Put socket on flywheel nut.----------Turn key to " on " position.------Push in the nuetral button.-------------Turn flywheel and lower unit should go into nuetral before 2 turns of the flywheel.-----Push reverse and repeat the test and report results.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My experience has been that the blocking diode will prevent the ignition switch from shutting down the engine. They are easy to test with a continuity tester. You should be getting continuity in only one direction.

Personally, I don't think this is your issue. I would follow FR's advice and search the forum for the procedure to test. Start there and follow the steps and I think you'll isolate your problem. Make sure the low end is full with type C oil. If you are low on oil you will have shifting issues.

If the blocking diode is SHORTED, you won't be able to stop then engine. No so if it is OPEN or MISSING. As stated, you test it with a continuity light or ohm meter. Should pass electricity in only one direction. If using a digital multimeter, it may have a diode test function (otherwise, it may not work). Personally, I prefer a light or analog multimeter.

Another way of testing (but may require further testing) is to check for voltage at the blue and green wires leading to the lower unit with the key on but motor not running. Should have battery voltage on the green wire with neutral button pushed and BOTH green and blue wires with reverse button pushed. If you don't, it could be the diode. But it could also be the shift switch or wires anywhere along the way. You can also make the same test at the blue and green wires on the bottom of the shift switch.

tate456

Cadet
ive looked for the wires that lead into the unit under the hood and havent seen them but i will check again tommorow when i go to the storage locations and post my findings thanks

tate456

Cadet
Okay not to revive an old thread here just got busy with some family stuff last fall and never got around to diagnosing this. So the other day I went out started it up ran it for a few minutes and decided to do the voltage test at the back wires that Mr. F_R requested I have no voltage in any gear at the back wires with the engine off.
Also can anyone direct me to a waterpump kit for this engine I am having trouble locating one thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???--Turn key to " on "---------Put control in neutral.----Do you have 12 volts on the green wire , yes or no ?--------Put control in reverse.---Do you now have 12 volts on the green wire and 12 volts on the blue wire , yes or no ?

tate456

Cadet
Negative I have no volts anywhere ....tried to use a jumper wire to supply 12 volts to the green wire and the starter tried to turn the engine over.

tate456

Cadet
Sorry by anywhere I mean the blue and green wires are dead with the engine off key on in any gear

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have a wiring / switch issue.------------See if all wires are attached at the shift switch in the control box.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What's that you said about it cranking when you jumped to the green wire? That makes no sense at all. Something is totally screwed up in the wiring.

EDIT: I think you have a busted shift switch in the remote control. That is the only place the shift and start wires are in a single unit. Well except for parallel wires in the cables, that is.

Last edited:

tate456

Cadet
Yep scared the bajeezus out of me engine was off jumped the green wire to 12v constant hoping to confirm an electrical problem and not something in the lower unit and it cranked I almost had a heart attack ..supposed to be nice tomorrow I will pull switch assembly cover off and take a look in there and get back to you guys thanks for all the help

tate456

Cadet
okay popped the control panel cover off ..blocking diode is in place but with the key on there is no voltage from the keyswitch to the purple blocking diode wire and the tan wire that lead to the switches ..if I go down to the other terminal on keyswitch there is battery voltage...I moved the two wires from the top post with no voltage down to the second circuit with battery voltage to see if the key switch was potentially my problem ..now when I flip the key to on the engine cranks without turning the key all the way to engine start position... I moved the two wires back to the normal positions on the switch ...retested ...still no voltage from the key switch in the run position to the switch pack ...out of curiousity I then detached the green wire from the bottom of the switch pack connected my meter and cranked the engine to my surprise there was 8 volts being back fed through the wire???? I think at this point my option is to start pealing back the loom and checking for damaged wires inside of it and potentially running new wires. and it seems I will need a new ignition switch as well