1968 evunrude 6hpT

letitroll707

Cadet
I have a 1968 evinrude 6hp outboard with tiller handle control. It was given yo me and need help getting it to run right. Its getting fuel and kicks over it wont idle unless you give more gas and if you put in gear it dies unless you wide throttle it. I did a carb clean and fuel clean on it and now im stuck. Any help would be very appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors have a history of cracked ignition coils.---------Remove the flywheel and have a look.-----It will have 2 replacement coils or it needs them.---Sounds like it is only running on 1 cylinder now.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Check that spark jumps a 1/4" gap, check compression, and how did you clean carb? Check that LS needle is intact and correct shape on end.

Im the brother of the guy that has the 6hp, it also needs to be choked before it starts, even if it was just running . We took the carb off and refurbished it , and the fuel pump / filter was disasembled ,cleaned ,and reasembled. Im thinking it may be a bad condencer , coil ,or points. We will be checking those 3 things in an hour or so. Will post the results soon as possible.

nwcove

Admiral
a compression test should have been first on the list.....you could be beating a dead seahorse.

letitroll707

Cadet
Compression test was normal changed points condensors coils are good new spark plugs gettimg spark. Carb rebuilt but motor still wont run right. It kicks over but wont idle unless you throttle up and it dies when you put the tiller on shift to switch gears. It wont idle long enough on shift to put in gear. Any help on what I should do nex5 please tell me I am dying to get back on the water to fish it has been too long. Thank you for helping to everyone past and present.

Foxstan

Cadet
Please consider several things:
1. Air may be leaking into the fuel lines between the tank and the fuel pump. If the quick connect fittings have not been service with new o-rings then they should be inspected for a. being pliable and not hard. and b. not having any cracks in them. c. fully engaging and sealing on the male fittings. I have seen people advocating the installation of a clear hose between the fuel pump and the carburetor so that the flow can be inspected for bubbles. This should be used temporarily and replaced with fuel line rated for the application if it is used at all.
1. The fuel pump diaphragm may be old and have lost its elasticity. When the engine is slowing down, gently squeeze the primer bulb and see if the problem is solved.
2. The idle mixture needle inspection advice above is not optional and very simple to do. Gently seat it in, counting the turns to make contact with the seat. It should take about 1.5 turns to seat it. Remove the needle and inspect the tip to make sure that there is not a step on the needle portion.
3. There is not a good substitute method to service the carburetor other than removing and dismantling it. Something is likely blocking the low speed fuel path.
4. If all else fails then check the timing of the carburetor and the spark. Service manuals are an investment for sure