Water running out of front exhaust cover

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1979 55hp Johnson. At full throttle there is water running/streaming out of the underside of the front exhaust housing at the top of the leg. Should This be a concern? The engine is cooling just fine and there is a good "pee" stream. Could this be an indication of a plugged cooling system? Thanks for any input!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds normal to me, I have a 77 55HP Johnny and that whole leg fills with water and it will spit out of the exhaust ports too. What you should look for is if the upper exhaust gasket is bad oil and black carbon will run out from the seam at the bottom of the power head cowl.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
At the top FRONT (as in forward, not aft)???? Extremely serious. It normally should be running out the big holes near the lower mount. There is too much water in the tube around the drive shaft if it is rising up to the vent hole at the top. That can enter the powerhead through the lower main bearing seal. It can also cause much rust and wear of the splines and bottom end of the crankshaft/seal area.

My best guess is there is a missing seal on top of the water pump housing.

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
It is the forward exhaust housing on the upper part of the leg. Is it normal for some water to shoot up from the water pump where the driveshaft enters the pump? I have recently replaced the water pump housing and driveshaft seal. Could it be the top of the water tube where it attaches to the power head and Would this be easy to check?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'd say #54 grommet is missing from atop the water pump housing. http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=985f9qn45u4irq3t5tl7i4b2t5&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

The drive shaft runs in a cast-in tube which is isolated from the rest of the exhaust housing. The main part of the exhaust housing does fill clear up and blow out the aft side. But since the drive shaft is isolated in a tube, that part does not fill up. It is normal for SOME water to escape the water pump housing around the drive shaft opening into the drive shaft tube, but it normally drains off through holes behind the lower motor mount. But with the seal (grommet) missing, it fills up clear to the top and overflows.

Fix is easy.....go back in and put the grommet in.

EDIT: The link doesn't seem to be working. It is supposed to take you to the exploded parts view of the lower unit, Reposting it.

Last edited:

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the info F_R. I did install the 54 grommet. Does it just rest on the water pump housing around the shaft...cup side down? I also noticed that part of the grommet has an edge slightly cut back...is this supposed to be installed in a specific direction? Thanks again.

Watermann

Water coming out of the front of the leg is normal for these motors. I've seen at least 2 or 3 other guys post video and pics of it on here worried the same as you. Take a picture or video of the water running out and post it just to be sure.

I just have one question though, you're running the motor on muffs to see this right? Please don't run your motor at WOT on the muffs, revving over an idle is fine but not 5500 RPMs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, there was a magic word---muffs. I'll concede that it MAY be possible to overwhelm the normal drainage by excessive water pressure on the muffs. But then, it has already been said that it occurs at full throttle. Certainly not indicative of running on muffs.

I guess we agree to disagree. I say it is not normal, others apparently think it is.

I'll close now.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I just have one question though, you're running the motor on muffs to see this right?

Why would you think that?
OP has not posted anything about muffs.
Nobody is going to run a motor at WOT on muffs.

Watermann

Why would you think that?
OP has not posted anything about muffs.
Nobody is going to run a motor at WOT on muffs.

Sure seems like a valid question to ask the OP when I can't understand how he sees "water running/streaming out of the underside of the front exhaust housing at the top of the leg." when he's going WOT going down the lake.

Anyway thought I could help the OP since I have the same motor but when members come on a thread to just go after other members and then offer nothing to help the OP themselves it's time for me to step out too.

Good luck Steve!

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I have attached a pic of what is happening and highlighted the location. You can see the water draining from the exhaust cover in the pic as I am at WOT. The water streams out and increases with throttle speed. I am only running in the lake. Is this common with the older Johnson motors?

Attachments

• photo209372.JPG
    photo209372.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 0

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Any chance this is a long shaft motor on a 15" transom?
I've seen that combination cause water to be driven out of lots of abnormal places.

Is the motor new to you, or have you had it for a while and this just started?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Just posting this to show what I believe is happening, showing the drive shaft tube and overflow path. But I could be wrong. Possible blown powerhead base gasket ???? Somebody else is welcome to jump in here.

Watermann

Just posting this to show what I believe is happening, showing the drive shaft tube and overflow path. But I could be wrong. Possible blown powerhead base gasket ???? Somebody else is welcome to jump in here.

I agree that water isn't supposed to come out way up there. When you take off the motor cover is water inside? I would remove the front and rear covers and run it on the muffs to be sure where the water is coming from. I think it may be time for a tear down and $7.00 gasket replacement. Part # 63. I originally thought you were talking about the water coming out around part # 78 which freaks a lot of guys out.

I also see that oil is coming out from the seam above that cover, you might want to check the hose that goes from the air box to the powerhead to make sure it's not disconnected or damaged.

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate the knowledge on this forum.
I am going to check the placement of the top water pump grommet first (#54 maybe it shifted during install) then move to the #63 gasket. The whole motor head has to be removed to access # 63 right?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
While you are at the water pump level, take a good look at the pump housing and impeller for any reason it may be leaking an unusual amount of water out the drive shaft hole. Some is normal. a lot may overwhelm the drain holes. I'm not discounting the gasket leakage theory, but I still believe your problem lies at the water pump/drive shaft area.

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Had the boat out again on the weekend...The water is coming out of the driveshaft opening at the top of the leg. The upper leg gasket is good and there is an opening above that gasket where the water falls out of about 2" before the driveshaft goes into the motor....so the water pump is pushing water up the driveshaft and overcoming the drainage holes at the bottom.
I pulled the leg and inspected the water pump housing (which is new), and all gaskets (including driveshaft ring) are in place. Could there be a restriction in the motor(not enough to cause overheating) that is causing back pressure on the water pump....therfore making the water pump push more water up the driveshaft?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the restriction theory. Now I'm wondering about that new pump housing. Understand, I don't know the answer to this, but could it possibly be designed to use a drive shaft seal? Just wondering, maybe somebody else knows.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If nothing else I would pull down the lower unit and thoroughly check the water tube. Into the pump, where it connects The tube itself. Then check the top of the pump. Grommet seated and seals, pump cover isn't cracked. Then lastly would go to the lower unit casing and start looking. Crack, nicks in any sealing areas for te pump. These things will pump water up into the outer exhaust housing but what you are describing is excessive.