90 Evinrude 8hp fuel leak

jshelb

Recruit
Hi all, New guy posting...been reading for awhile though. I'd appreciate any assistance because I frankly don't understand my problem. A buddy let me test out the aforementioned motor on my jon boat. It's been sitting for 5+ years. At his garage, I got it started but it leaked fuel at the motor connection. It wouldn't idle but would run solid if I goosed it and held it mid throttle. I figured his gas line was old and a new line connector was needed. Hooked it up today with a new female connector and same thing. Pimp the bulb and fuel just runs out at the motor connection. I've inspected the male connection and it looks and operates fine. Works just like the connection on the tank. Has anyone ever had this experience? It has me befuddled. Thanks and if more info is needed just ask, J

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The engine-side connection can get damaged. Had to replace one on a '75 E/rude 6 HP.
Look for a crack or maybe deterioration of the fuel hose inside the engine. Possibly fuel is running from there and just appears to be coming from the connector.

jshelb

Recruit
Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. Under the hood is bone dry. No fuel leaks on the inside. It is only at the connection on the outside. The innards of this motor are pristine...nothing under.the hood is corroded or dry rotted. Is it possible the fuel lines are blocked and once primed the pressure forces the connection to leak? I ask because of the age of the motor and the length of time it sat. Would that connection leak? I would think the primer bulb would just harden up. I'm thinking of pulling the fuel line off after the connector and inspect.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not in my experience.
The female connector has an o-ring that can wear and cause a leak, but you have replaced that fitting.
If the leak is 100% from the male fitting, it may be worn or been damaged. It's not frequent, but can happen. Look for a scratch or other visible damage on the "fuel prong".
The other issue these days is that there are female fittings similar looking to the ubiquitous OMC connector, but they are not compatible.
If you did not use a genuine OMC replacement fuel line, that's where I'd start.

jshelb

Recruit
Tim, Great information above. It was the female connector causing the issue. The gas side of the connector has a large ball. A second look at another connector and it had a much smaller ball. The smaller ball connector does not leak. Apparently walmart does not sell OMC genuine parts haha. Now that it starts...I just have to get it to idle. Thanks again for your help.

nwcove

Admiral
Tim, Great information above. It was the female connector causing the issue. The gas side of the connector has a large ball. A second look at another connector and it had a much smaller ball. The smaller ball connector does not leak. Apparently walmart does not sell OMC genuine parts haha. Now that it starts...I just have to get it to idle. Thanks again for your help.

those hardware store/wallyworld (attwood) connectors are nothing but a waste of $$. there are alot of good after market parts out there....but attwood stuff doesnt make my list. jmo