1985 120 v4 - CDI?

GeeTee

Cadet
Was out in the bay yesterday, had to get a TOW home by a Jon Boat with a 40 horse on it - i took hours out of their fishing time to assist me. Thank goodness there are "good guys" out there or i would have had to use my trolling motor to get to the ramp.

I did some troubleshooting, no fire, batteries are fully charged every now and then it would seem as if it wants to fire but doesnt. This happens for a split second then goes away. I replaced spark plugs with new ones as older ones seem to be a little fouled. Still the same issue. I then removed the spark plug wire from each cylinder and tried arc against the engine to check spark, nothing. Fuel pump works too, i tested that. Im thinking its the CDI unit, or is this indicating its the stator?

How to be sure?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures. You can also pull the black/yellow from the pack. This eliminates the boat wiring harness.

GeeTee

Cadet
Boobie - i forgot to feedback - i followed your advice, pulled the black and yellow and boom, she started right up. Dismantled the ignition/throttle housing and inspected each wire. One of the wires had rubbed through and made a short on the unit. Repaired this and away went the problem. I must however add that in my infinite wisdom i decided it was a power pack prior to troubleshooting, so now at least i have a new power pack from CDI ;-)

Thanks for the assistance.