1958 Johnson Seahorse 35HP

hennesey07

Recruit
Trying to figure out why I have not power. The motor starts and run great but when I go to put it in gear and open it up it just does not go. We go about 5-10 MPH. The carb was cleaned and new plugs were put in. Where else should I be looking?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple things first.----They run quite well on one cylinder .-------Check compression and check that spark will jump an actual gap of 6 or 7 mm. Have you adjusted the high speed needle , the lower one on the carburetor.

hennesey07

Recruit
Thanks for the reply Racerone. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are 125. I will have to check the spark again as I have not really checked that... The needles I have played with. Is there a correct setting for them as to how many turns out they should be? Any help would be helpful.. Thanks again..

hennesey07

Recruit
Thanks guys for the info. I will be checking the coils today. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thanks again

hennesey07

Recruit
What about the cut off switch on the side of the motor? Is it possible this is bad and cause the motor not to go? Is there adjustments to this?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
It will cut power to 1 cylinder if malfunctioning, however I don't think I have ever personally encountered that. Electrical issues with the wiring from it to the points yes, but have yet to see a mechanical malfunction. Not to say it couldn't happen. I would start with the standard stuff first.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is a large spring behind a diaphragm inside the cut-out switch. It is impossible for the switch to do anything unless there is sufficient vacuum to overcome the spring and close the switch contacts. And it is impossible to have any vacuum unless it is running. And even if running, it would have to be in runaway condition to develop that kind of vacuum. Few people understand the reasoning behind the switch, and therefor many people condemn it without cause. It is extremely rare for it to cause any problems other than not working when it should (runaway condition).

hennesey07

Recruit
Is there a adjustment to that cut off switch? It seems to be by loosing the center nut or should it be tight?