Fuel dripping out of carburetor

Castellina

Seaman
I have a 1957 Johnson 35 hp outboard. After a few pulls of the starter, it starts to drip fuel from the carb throat. I got it to run for about 4 seconds, but can't get it to start now. Is that normal for the gas to be dripping from the carb throat? Any suggestions?
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That means the choke is working properly.----Check the spark on this motor.---Good spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more with ease and that is the only acceptable test for " good " spark.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Check your spark as above, if thats ok then put the plugs back in but not the wires, pull it a few times and then remove the plugs, check they are wet with fuel

Castellina

Seaman
It has GREAT spark, it jumps at least a 1/4 inch. I got a carb kit for it, so I'm wondering if maybe there is some adjustment on the float bowl out of wack? I checked to see if the plugs were wet, and they were not. I sprayed starter fluid into the carb, and the engine will run on that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fuel dripping from the carb is not normal. It likely means that the float is out of adjustment or the inlet needle is worn. I think you need to address this. However, it is not the reason the motor is not running.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I sprayed starter fluid into the carb, and the engine will run on that.

Not for long.... :)
Use some pre-mixed gas from your tank in a spray bottle.
It has oil in it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When using the choke on these motors it is normal for some fuel to drip from the carburetor when you open the choke flapper.---This is after pulling it over a few times with choke flapper closed.

Castellina

Seaman
What would you guys suggest to do next? I already soaked the carb in some cleaner overnight, maybe give it another good cleaning? By the way the engine is tilted up so that the gas in the carb drips out, should I tilt the motor so that that gas drips in to the engine?
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor mounted on a boat or on a stand that does not have the correct angle ??--------Try tilting it down and see if gas now leaks toward the motor in order to start this thing !

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
As Frank stated, issue with needle/seat, float height, float, etc... Float should be parallel to carb body when you flip carb upside down, but slightly higher on unhinged end, to ensure needle is seating. Does the float float? Float catching on gasket?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
What would you guys suggest to do next? I already soaked the carb in some cleaner overnight, maybe give it another good cleaning? By the way the engine is tilted up so that the gas in the carb drips out, should I tilt the motor so that that gas drips in to the engine?
Thanks

Two things to do. Adjust the angle so that the motor sits vertically and the carb horizontal. Unless the motor is a long way from being vertical this is not likely to be the case of the dripping fuel.

Inspect the condition of the cab float and needle valve. If its a cork float replace it without any further ado.. Clean or better perhaps simply replace the needle valve and seat

( If the replacement needle is soft tipped it will come with a tiny clip which links it to the float arm )

Simply tilting the engine so that the fuel runs into the engine will simply result in an over rich mixture.

If you have not already dismantle and throughly clean the carb. make sure all jets and passage ways are clear. Blowing through with an air line may help. Nylon monofilament fishing line can be useful too for clearing partly blocked passages.
A soft copper wire used carefully can be useful for cleaning jets. It should not damage a brass jet.
Rebuild with a carb kit