Throttle position when timing 1957 Evinrude 18 hp

IceWater

Seaman
There are lots posts on setting the timing and points on these old engines but no one mentions where the throttle should be be set when doing so. On my engine the timing advances when you increase the throttle so needless to say that timing marks very. Any help is greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you are using the timing fixture ( or the flywheel ) and the timing marks on the magneto plate.-----Then throttle position does NOT matter.----You are adjusting the points relative to the rotating magnet on the flywheel to get maximum spark.----The rest looks after itself.

nwcove

Admiral
If you are using the timing fixture ( or the flywheel ) and the timing marks on the magneto plate.-----Then throttle position does NOT matter.

.....just for reference sake.....when would throttle position on that motor matter?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
For accurately setting the points on the MAGNETO the throttle position does not matter.-----Throttle must be timed to the rotation of the magplate for proper idling and I consider that to be a carburetor adjustment.

nwcove

Admiral
For accurately setting the points on the MAGNETO the throttle position does not matter.-----Throttle must be timed to the rotation of the magplate for proper idling and I consider that to be a carburetor adjustment.

i fully agree, ignition timing , and carb timing are two different adjustments, but both are very important for a nice running ob engine. both are easy to do !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
More appropriately called "sync", just so you know if somebody mentions it. The throttle shaft on the carburetor must be just barely ready to start opening when the roller is aligned with the mark on the brass cam attached to the bottom of the mag plate.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
To adjust, loosen the port 3/8 bolt under the cam, then pull in or push out, its hole is oblong, so you can swing the cam in and out