1971 60 hp johnson won't idle

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1971 60 hp johnson with electric shift. 3 cylinder, 3 carbs. the engine cranks cold and runs fine. it will idle out of the ramp with no trouble. i go to wot for a while and do the usual running and then it won't idle. in gear i can bring it down to slow speed with no problems apparent. then i can drop it to idle in gear and it will start running rough and will eventually die. if i bring it to neutral from running, it will die. i have to raise the neutral throttle to crank it and then engage the drive while the idle throttle is up to get moving. it seems i can bring it back home and after its been sit for awhile, i can crank it with the muffs and it will idle fine. i have a new tank, vent is open, bulb is hard, and pretty sure the fuel pump is fine because it runs fine at higher throttle. please help, any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1971 60 hp johnson won't idle

thanks, maybe its time for a carb rebuild instead of the standard cleaning. if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Lastout, please keep us posted if you find a solution. I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 1972 Johnson 100hp. I rebuilt the carbs with with no improvement. <br /><br />Dogger, I'll check mine over for a vacuum leak tonight...how can I check for a leaking crank seal?

EEaton

Cadet

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to this problem? I also have a 1971 Johnson 60hp, with the exact same problem.

jksnyder

Cadet

I had the same frustrating problem....finally found the points not set properly....totally corrected the problem for me. Good Luck!

ehaataja

Recruit

Please keep this thread alive, as I am too having a similar problem. I have a '71 Johnson 60 as well. Mine won't idle at all, hot or cold. I've spent many hours trying to tune the needle valves, and nothing seems to work. The ignition system was just replaced (not by me, by an outboard mechanic), so doubt that's the problem. At high RPMS the thing runs perfect. Basically, I have to crank the throttle while starting it, and slam it into gear right away to get it move. Then, when I try to reduce speed to about 1/4 throttle, it starts to sputter, and then stalls within about 2 seconds unless I crank the throttle right away. Oh, and it's getting plenty of fuel, like I said it runs great at high RPM and the primer bulb is hard.