87 johnson 150 fuel problem

Bigsnook22

Cadet
Hello...Was running top end fine, motor lost power and quit. Pumped primer ball and started back up ran 15 seconds sputtered out. When took out of water noticed ball would not get hard then noticed gas coming out of exhaust ports and lower unit before we started it. After awhile we started it and would only run if pumping ball. Any suggestions? Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You did a good test: When the engine starts to crap out, have a buddy constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. If the engine picks back up and runs great at WOT- as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb-likely you've got a fuel supply problem. That could be: weak/damaged fuel pump, bad fuel hose, dirt in the anti-siphon valve, etc. Does this have the original VRO (OMS) factory pump still on the engine? The fuel hose should pump up hard first thing each day. As the engine draws fuel through it, the bulb will get softer, but should not collapse. That's normal. It should pump back up firm-each time you re-prime the bulb. With age, the ball valves in the hose bulb may not work properly. If you notice, the hose bulb should be generally oriented with the arrow pointing slightly uphill/skyward. They can cause problems if they lay in a downhill orientation in the boat's splashwell.

Bigsnook22

Cadet
I was ruling out any lines or primer ball due to fuel pumping out of lower unit when primed and ball not getting hard. I don't know what is supposed to stop it inside the motor but that is the culprit. Maybe fuel pump.Which is exactly two years old only. And we omitted the oil injection from the VRO years ago.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You may need to get into the carbs. The float may be stuck open on one of the carbs. After idling, have you pulled the plugs to have a look at them? When the plugs are pulled out, prime the fuel hose bulb and crank the engine. Visually note the fuel spray comes out of each spark plug hole/cylinder. That may indicate something.

Bigsnook22

Cadet
My dad had changed the plugs initially and said that after running when he pulled plugs they were very wet ,one side more so than the other. We will crank with plugs out and see what happens. I'm guessing cylinders that spew fuel will be problem carbs....

Bigsnook22

Cadet
My dad had changed the plugs initially and said that after running when he pulled plugs they were very wet ,one side more so than the other. We will crank with plugs out and see what happens. I'm guessing cylinders that spew fuel will be problem carbs....we will get to it tomorrow