1958 18hp evinrude decision

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a 1958 Evinrude electric start with pressurized tank for 80 bucks. Guy said it runs but lower unit was off and he said a bearing was out. Well ... can't see how it ran since when I tested it at home there is no spark. Pulled lower unit apart and all 3 gears have chips out of them. Skeg bent. Put some penetrating oil in cylinders laid it down and let it sit overnight. Then put some oil in cylinders and let sit. Put it on the stand and let it sit overnight for it to drain out. Pulled cord a few times to get some of the oil out and then did compression test. 120 to 100 on bottom.
My Questions
1 - Worth rebuilding or is this a parts motor ? (probably cost $150 - $200 to rebuild lower unit and $100 on points etc.)
2 - Can the skeg be straightened?
3 - Is this decent compression on a motor this age? I know the oil probably helped the compression a little but didn't what to score the walls.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The starter and tank are worth more than you paid for it. Cut your losses and part it out.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've advertised it for $120 and no real takers for it. Its unfortunate that one has to part an old motor out. I had an Eska and couldn't give it away. Pulled it apart and sold it on Ebay for over $100. Thanks F_R ..... I was kinda leaning that way.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I know how you feel. It really tears at me to have to part one out. After these fine old motors are gone, they are gone. But sometimes we need to face reality. Besides, the parts will help somebody else keep one going.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
FWIW, A few years ago I picked up a 1965 Evinrude 18hp for relatively cheap that wasn't running to put on my 14' Lund. The guy I bought it from said it needed the carb rebuilt. When I got it home I tested compression on it and was only getting 85-90 psi on both cylinders. So I rebuilt the carb and replaces a few other small linkage parts that were worn, broken or missing and when finished it fired right up. I then discovered that the Lower was trashed. The shift fork was bent beyond repair. I was able to locate another 18hp parts engine and scavage the lower unit. Engine then ran fine, shifted as it should so I installed it on the boat.

Everything was terrific! Engine powered boat well, was easy to start and I only had about $200.00 into it. I ran it for almost a full season then sold it for $350.00 when I was finally able to locate a 35hp for the boat which is what that Lund is rated for. The guy that bought that 18hp Rude is still using it today.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks bonz. I've thought of rebuilding...but in my area good running similar motors are maybe 250. i didn't realize how heavy this motor was. so want to sell to get a 3-4 hp with built in gas tank.