1985 E15RCOB: Reattaching shift linkage?

ARducks

Recruit
Hi, folks. I've searched the forums and found great info on replacing my impeller, which I have successfully done. However, I'm having a very hard time reattaching the shift linkage. If I leave the shifter in forward, I have enough room to work between the midsection and lower unit and I can screw the bolt back into the linkage. But if the lower unit shift rod is pulled up, I need to be in neutral in order for it to work properly. I don't have enough room to get in there when I do this. Please help!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
You should have removed the top screw only from the shift rod connector.

provided when you refit it it is correctly located in the groove on the upper shift rod all will be well.. Don't worry about the position of the shift lever. Get the screw in correctly.

You will find the procedure for dismantling and reassembly in LeeRoys Ramblings. http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

ARducks

Recruit
Alright, thanks for the speedy reply! I did just remove the top screw. I didn't know I didn't have to worry about the shift lever position...that helps a lot. As long as I can leave the lever in forward, then pull up the shift rod in the lower unit, I've got enough room. After putting it all back together, it still wasn't discharging water. Since this is my first rodeo, I'm going to disassemble and try again. Pretty sure I put the impeller in the housing before sliding it down. I think I need to put the impeller in the lower unit first (turning it clockwise) then put the housing on. Discharge tube is free of debris...

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Are you sure that the impellor drive key is in position

ARducks

Recruit
I'm not exactly sure what the problem was, but I disassembled and noticed some rubber skid marks on the inside of the housing. I used WD40 and a paper towel to clean until it was shiny and super smooth. I then went to leeroysramblings and followed the ultra-detailed instructions to the letter. Previously, I had failed to lightly grease the vains, which may have hindered rotation, hence the skid marks. After reassembly this morning, I'm back in business and it's working great! Thanks for such a great reference...I bet I'll use it again in the future.