1975 Johnson 115 V4 Blowing Main Fuse W/ key turned to accessory?

skydailey

Cadet
I am having my main 20 amp fuse pop when I turn my key to accessory? Nothing visually seems melted or apparent short. Any ideas? Could my starter solenoid be stuck closed causing a direct short? Rectifier? All wires have casing with no bare wires showing.. Please advise!?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So, it has an accessory position on the key? Well in any case, disconnect whatever is connected to the "A" (Accessory) terminal on the key switch and see if it still blows the fuse. If you find that the fuse doesn't blow now, then check out whatever that wire goes to.

skydailey

Cadet
OK, i will do that. In the case that it still blows, where does the power go to next? Does it go to the start solenoid? The choke solenoid has already been disconnected and I choke it manually so that is scratched off the list..

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't have the diagram for that particular motor, but typically, it would be the purple and purple/white stripe wires going to the terminal strip on the motor. Purple/white stripe is the choke, purple goes to hot horn and also is power feed to whatever it needs at the motor. As far as I know without the diagram, that would be the thermal switch to warm-up winding in the choke. It does not go to start solenoid or rectifier or power pack.

Plus anything else that may have been added, such as a tachometer or gauges.