1977 35hp with electric start KIT, Doese anyone know how to test the Solinoid?

BOBBYV

Cadet
Hello i had trouble wiring my 1977 35hp with electric start KIT, Does anyone know how to test the Solinoid? mine i turn key and Nothing? i have power all the way to solenoid? is it suppose to click ??

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Yes, it is supposed to click when you turn the key; have you checked the fuse which should be close to the solenoid? Check the ground of the solenoid to the block of the engine; no ground, no click. Others will chime in with more hopefully. Good luck

BOBBYV

Cadet
Hi Will , Ok no Click, my 20amp fuse is good next to the solenoid, Solenoid has 4 post 2 large with one side connected to starter and other side fused 20amp line and magneto 2 small with a I And S on it S is connected to the start wire on key I Is connected to safety switch , the only way she will start is if i disconnect the Battery wire to solenoid and connect directly to the starter then touch my 2 wires that go to the battery for a sec and she fires up, i have no way to shut it off but to choke it or disconnect the fuel line..

BOBBYV

Cadet
Hi it was the Ground i put a new Ground point from the I Terminal , Oh by the way My mistake Magneto Wire is on M Key Switch Not to Solenoid , Now When She started I Put a amp test On Battery to see if it was Charging, The battery had 12.5 Volts before starting i shut the motor off when it hit 13.50 i do not want it blowing up on me what is normal amp for the battery to reach??? Thank you

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You seem to be getting your amps and volts terminology mixed up. 13.5 would be a normal VOLTAGE reading at the battery while running (charging). However, since it is an unregulated system, don't be surprised if it goes way up to around 16 volts after running awhile. That's just the way they were.

BOBBYV

Cadet
Thank you guys F_R And Will, i thought iT was my rectifier , i cleaned all the wires and made everything tight,and i used a different Battery,it now seems to stay under 14.5 even at a higher rpm ,AND at idle it is around 13-13.5, I Think the old Battery had weak or dammaged cells in it?? who knows but i thank you 2 gentlemen for your assistance , at least i learned more abut my motor today And maybe i can help others someday with this ;) Cheers BOBBYV