propeller johnson 85 hp

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
propell wich is mounted now is 13 1/4x17,its beaten up and pretty old (hub-vis). wich prop should i buy? engine is on a 15 fot boat. one thing i noticed when testing it was that i had to use "much" throttle to get it in plane,i should get one prop that gives better torque from still position?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
On a 15' boat, that 17 should be a good runner on that length boat. Before you switch props, run the engine at WOT and see what rpm's you get. That engine may not be making full hp.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, i dont have a rpm gauge hooked to it..ok so stick to that size then,its beaten up so better change it. would that propsize also be good on a 18'-19' boat? have the boat in garage now and unscreewd ignition and stuff. Have to wait to buy stator and some minor other things a couple of months so will wait to try it on water to april 2015.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
.....why could it be it are not making full hp?

Not running on all four cylinders would come to mind. But at this point, we don't even know if it is an issue. Without a tachometer, we are guessing, at best.

For your 18' boat, you may want to drop down to a 15" prop. But I wouldn't run a 15" on the smaller boat. The 17" prop was a very good choice for the average boat the motor was likely to be used on.