1978 75hp Johnson Stinger

Burgeo

Cadet
My stinger seems to be running smoothly but when I accelerate (from the remote control) the speed is inconsistent until I push the throttle down to about half to full speed. In other words if I am running along at about quarter speed (the control arm pushed forward only a little bit) the speed may vary (boat may slow or speed up a little). It seems to me that the gear linkage at the motor may be the problem (a little loose). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I noticed that there are 2 plastic thumb adjustment wheels on the gear linkages (at the motor). May they need adjustment or is one worn? I will post a photo soon. Cheers!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I doubt that your problem is with the shift or throttle cables. More likely a fuel or timing issue. Look over all the linkages on the carbs and the linkage to the ignition timing advance. Look for anything that appears really loose or missing/ broken shaft bushings in the linkage.

Burgeo

Cadet
Thanks Captain. I have to admit, although I grew up with the ocean in my backyard and spend a lot of time on the water, I did not inherit my father's flare for the mechanics of outboard motors. The motor, although old, is new to me. Hopefully I'll figure out where those linkages are and gain some insight - along with my 80 yera old father's aid

Burgeo

Cadet
Thanks Captain. I have to admit, although I grew up with the ocean in my backyard and spend a lot of time on the water, I did not inherit my father's flare for the mechanics of outboard motors. The motor, although old, is new to me. Hopefully I'll figure out where those linkages are and gain some insight - along with my 80 yera old father's aid

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There are boat loads of those 3 cylinder models still being used. My opinion is they are great engines though they can be a bit finicky. I myself haven't run one because I run the 50 and 60hp 2 cylinder engines and have the OEM manuals for them. The quick trouble shooting guild in them points in that direction and whether it be a 2 cylinder or a 3 cylinder that shouldn't make a differeance.
Might be worth it to check ebay for an original OEM manual and not just to fix this because they are just nice and handy to have around.