Johnson 30 issue

LurcherNZ

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings from New Zealand. I have a 1996 Johnson 30 it has given many hours of faultless service it has truly been a credit to the brand. Usually I use this outboard for bait fishing so it is stop start running. I motor 3 miles or so offshore at close to full throttle and then fish from an anchored position or drifting using a drogue. periodically I shift to a new spot. Usually The motor starts from cold in 3 or 4 pulls and it is still doing this. Historically it would always start with one or two pulls when warm. Recently on odd occasions it fails to start when warm. The motor is mounted on an aftermarket CMC PT35 tilt/trim bracket if I tilt the motor a fair way and leave it to sit for ten-15 minutes then it will start again. It is a rope pull start.

I am confident it is not a plug issue, I change plugs fairly frequently. I run 30thou plug gap and use NGK B7HS (and have done for ten years, I have never used champion plugs, I also have a tiller steer 30hp evinrude, I run these plugs in that also with out issue). I run a water separating filter, use valvoline two stroke oil and yamalube fuel stabiliser (3-5 ml per litre). I don't use fuel over three months old. I am thinking it might be time for a carb kit? I have just replaced the fuel filter as a precaution I do this annually. Can anyone advise please?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Quote: " if I tilt the motor a fair way and leave it to sit for ten-15 minutes then it will start again." Sure sounds like the carburetor is flooding. Tilting it allows fuel to run back out. Float valve problem. If you are running a 6 gallon tank, try loosening the cap when not running to see if it stops the flooding from happening. That would indicate the float valve is not holding back the normal pressures that may be in the tank.

LurcherNZ

Seaman Apprentice
thanks any idea on the carb kit number that will work for this outboard? I don't have a service manual. Many thanks