1997 150 ocean pro power tilt&trim question

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
My tilt and trim works fine. But when I go in reverse my motor will come up almost out the water, Is their a lock to hold it in place or is this a sign the tilt and trim are going out thanks...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There is a manual release valve on the port side of the PTT unit. It is tightened with a screwdriver thru the hole in the transom bracket. Hopefully that is your issue.

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Screw is tight and didn't notice any fluid leaking on the cardboard I put under the motor last night any ideas what to check next

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Any other ideas or what I can try to fix this or should I bring it to a mechanic?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how much power your applying in reverse, if WOT with trailer backed in shallow the engine will overcome the impact valve and cause this. If its just regular operation its impact valve in pump or valves in tilt cylinder. Very little repair parts are offered for the Fastrack trim and no repair instructions are offered in the factory service manuals

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It could be the manual release valve as it says in the trouble shooting guide. But then you'd have to go buy one to prove it and if that's not it you're stuck with it. Or it could be the pump manifold. Most good dealers have these for checking purposes. ( I still have a valve in my tool box ) Your best bet would be to take it to a dealer unless you have a lot of $$$$. JMO.

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Is their a certain way to get the manual release vale out or just unscrew it till it comes out, second question is if the o-ring is bad can i just change it out thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You take out a cir clip first and just unthread the valve. If the o-ring is bad you can get that from a dlr.

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Boobie, I am offshore till the 4th of may will let you know what i find when i get in and thanks again.

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Boobie wanted to say thanks to you, I got home from offshore and pulled the clip out and took out the manual release valve and sure enough the o-ring was not even on there, I went to my dealer got another o-ring installed the manual release and went to the launch, problem solved motor will not tilt up when I apply throttle to it thanks again.