1957 Johnson Javelin

leslielbk

Seaman
It's come time for some brutal self-honesty. I'm never going to finish my restoration of my vintage motor. I want to put my boat in the water, but I keep running into problems so I haven't. My question for you pros: It runs. I did something with the steering cables, and I'm tired of the whole thing. What is the best way to sell the motor?

nwcove

Admiral
jmo...but there is no "best way". a good way would be to try a free ad at the aomci site. you wont get big bucks, but it would probably end up in a good home, and be looked after . i do remember you from your starting point in the forum......maybe take a deep breath and dive back into it??

leslielbk

Seaman
Maybe...but I've been saying that for a long time. I'd like to get the boat out! Before I throw in the towel completely I'll give it one more go. Thanks for replying!

64osby

Admiral
I have successfully worked on several 50's motors and some can take more time than others, but in the end they all run great.

I found a key was to tackle small projects or tasks, elec, carb, LU. Eventually it all comes together.

Don't know where you are located, but a non running motor like that would sell for no more than $150 in my neck of the woods. This time of year even less.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
GIve it another go! The '57 Javelin is one of my favourites, I have 5 of them, lol. Remind of the issues at hand here. Where are you located? Do you have pics of it? Cosmetics are important with the Javelin, as is condition of chrome. They bring in more money than the standard Big Twin.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Man o Man, thats a heart breaker.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The Javelin sounds great and "we" would hope it can get going behind your boat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Personally, I have a 56 big twin that I have been fussing with since October 2013 and have loved every minute of tinkering.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The monumental frustration is completely replaced with an amazing measure of satisfaction when it finally gets going.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I would hope that you Don't deprive yourself of that time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]No pressure.........[/FONT]

As a side note, I freely admit that I did pick a brand new Honda as a replacement (constant nagging from my lovely wife).
Not going to buy it – it was a moment of weakness.
Would have rathered Evinrude but alas, elec start and power trim and 15 inch shaft are a difficult combination for Bombardier recreational products Inc.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]-Bennett[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]check it out..[/FONT]

http://youtu.be/DXPMn3RBlO0

leslielbk

Seaman
You've shamed and encouraged me. I'll give it another go. I posted photos of it on another thread I started, looking for help with God-knows-what at the time...maybe the front cover that got cloogied (?) up by the mechanic. I am on an island in Florida, and people boat year round. I actually can't remember where I left off...it may have been the gas tank. I couldn't get it started because I messed with the cables and then the shift wouldn't put it into neutral so I could start the engine. I think I was so frustrated at that time that's when I stopped, and there it sits, in my garage, with my car outside baking in the florida sun. I'll get out the tub of water and start again, and find out what the heck stage I'm at.

nwcove

Admiral
thatta girl !! get back to it......lotsa help and encouragement here in the forums!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Well, I was going to help, but now Im jealous of the year round boating, so you're on your own! lol

Im starting to winterize everything already!

Seriously though, If there is spark, fuel and compression she will run.

Unhook all cables, and ensure first the motor runs and such alone. Then worry about hooking up cables.

leslielbk

Seaman
By now the gas in the tank will be old. I cleaned out the tank, and have new 2-line hose for it. There wasn't any pressure last run, and it was another frustrating stage. I got a lot of feedback about the tank, and many said to give up and go single-line but that's a whole new problem to solve. Anyway, tomorrow I'll pull her out of the garage after inflating the trailer tires, moving out the junk blocking the door, and see what's what.

nwcove

Admiral
dont look at as one big problem! plug away at the little stuff.....i convert all my pressure tank motors to fuel pump. its easy to do .