Johnson 1982 60hp compression

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have 1982 johnson 60hp with low compression on one cylinder out of two cylinders. One has 90 and the other has 120... I found metal shavings in the lower unit in the exhaust port so that made me check the compression and it was exactly what I thought. One cylinder was low. What causes this? Could it be a ring on the piston then that caused it to scrape the cylinder? What's the best options I have? I was thinking should I sell it or redo it? I found a 1997 johnson 50hp with controls for 500$ what do you guys say? Sorry for so many questions in one question.. Just trying to learn lol boat is 14' skiff... I just redid the carbs lower unit seals lower unit water pump kit and impeller starter new battery and power pack.. So I have some coin into it.. What do you guys say is a good selling price

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like it's time to tear it down. Won't know what you're getting into until you have it apart. If you step up to another motor, be sure to bring your compression gauge...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I would be leery of a 1997 engine with controls for only $500.00. I'd have to check that one out very closely and would have to hear it running also.. Could have been overheated, run w/o oil, sunk. Even in my neck o the woods where outboards are plentiful and cheap That engine would be bringing at least 3X that price.

freddybell79

Cadet
i have a 1965 evinrude big twin 40hp. 110 on one cylinder and 100 on other. is this good/bad. and what is a sign of bad compression?