Suggestions as to what I should do with 28 HP engine

Hi all,

Been tearing into a 1964 28 HP Johnson model RX-12, Serial # J2455104. I have the carb, starter, bypass covers, and head cover off at this point. The head cover had debris in the holes at the top and bottom. I've blown them out with air and believe I've gotten it cleared, but have ordered a couple of welch plugs and will be taking the old ones out so I have an unobstructed view of the passageway. The head had debris in the top hole (as seen in pics). I've removed what I can see, but I'm wondering if I should blow it out as well. The only reason I hesitate is I wasn't sure if some might find its way into the cylinder and if that could pose a problem. Also, is there anything I should do while I have the bypass covers off? I'll include some pics here and if any of you see something I should tend to, please feel free to suggest it. Lastly, while I have it torn down and given the debris and general state of the head and cylinders, should I pull the exhaust cover and/or intake manifold off as well?

Thanks for any info you guys (and gals?) can provide.

chi_town

Bottom Cylinder:

Top Cylinder:

Bottom cylinder through bypass:

Top cylinder through bypass:

Debris in passageway of head:

Debris removed:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I see that at least one piston is scored.----That is seen through the intake ports which is the cool side of the motor.------Exhaust side is likely worse.--------Motor will run but not very well as it is.-------Motor needs to come apart for full inspection / repairs---------Likely there are better motors available for less effort and $$$ spent.

I see that at least one piston is scored.----That is seen through the intake ports which is the cool side of the motor.------Exhaust side is likely worse.--------Motor will run but not very well as it is.-------Motor needs to come apart for full inspection / repairs---------Likely there are better motors available for less effort and $$$ spent.

Thanks Racer. Anything else or anyone else have any suggestions?