1957 evinrude Big twin 35

eolsen

Seaman
I have been testing the engine in a trash can of water and I have been running it for about a min to two min periods. I haven't seen water shot from the tell tale yet. Should I? I replaced the impeller too.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Forgot key? Water line pinched in grommet or missed completely. debris in cooling circuit. I test with compressed air before installing gearcase. Plate or housing worn.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Got it deep enough in water? Pump needs to be well submerged before starting. Did you clean the surface under the stainless pump plate and use some sealer between plate and gearcase? Worn out pump housing? Those motors are super simple and very rarely give problems other than simply worn out pumps.

eolsen

Seaman
On a two month old impeller the metal ring in the center of the impeller had seperated from the rubber. So basically it just spun without its "legs".

eolsen

Seaman
No actually That's what was so surprising. So I bought a new one though and replaced it. Put everything back together and my shift rod connector decided to call it quits😮. I'm hoping the place I get my parts from has one in stock. I don't want to wait!