bad gears again?

avantifishski

Seaman
johnson 88 90hp, in may i had all forward gears and reverse and clutch dog replaced. today i got boat of trailer and fired up engine let her run 5mins and put her in gear no clunk sound and motor revs like she is in neutral and then slams into gear out of gear and back in again. b4 i shut her down and start freaking out this is the 7th time i had her out since the May gear fix. did i blow the clutch dog and forward gear again? feels like it did b4 the gears were fixed but slams alot harder and wont go in forward without reving way up and then slams into gear.

Does it do that just for going into forward, or both forward and reverse? If it's just forward it might simply be the adjustment of the shift cable end. To check that remove the cable end from the linkage, wiggle the linkage back and forth to make sure that it's centered in neutral, and the cable end should exactly line up with the stud on the linkage.

Also, how much play is there at the engine end of the shifter cable? There shouldn't be much play, maybe 1/4" if that.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Agree with Metric, remove the cowling. Detach the shift cable at the engine end. Shift the engine's shift lever by hand. See what happens.