Water Deflectors Don't Fit

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to install the water deflectors on my 1993 Johnson 25hp and they will not go in all the way to bottom out, they get stuck hard and if you push them of course they bulge as you push them, which makes matters worse. The deflectors are solid rubber and they are a larger diameter on one end than the other this is one of them Part Number 0335602 (28-0335602), it is [FONT=&quot]Diameter .413" on one end, .371" on the other end x 1.06" length[/FONT]

The other Deflector is 28-0335603 (2 required) Diameter .413" one end, .360" other end x 1.81"€ length.

I tried spraying the hole and deflection with WD-40 as instructed in this forum. I tried with STP Oil treatment as instructed in the OMC Manual. No difference. It will go in till get gets to about the .390" diameter point and will go no further. No problem getting it in from the beginning .360" to the .390, but from there it won't budge.

Moreover, the depth required to bottom out the deflectors is much deeper than the deflectors themselves. The top deflector depth needed is 2.70" while the deflector is only 1.81" long. The shorter port side bottom deflector needs a depth of 1.7" and the deflector for that one is only 1.06". (The other bottom deflector, the starboard one requires 1.72 to bottom, and the deflector is 1.81, so that's the only one that bottoms out.)

Any experiences dealing with this from you pros?

Last edited:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to the local dealer and verified physically that I did receive the right parts from my online source. The problem is they don't fit past the like .390 diameter. They don't work, period. Therefore, I just bought the deflectors I used for my 115hp, as they do fit, they are .370 diameter and have the hole in the middle, are not solid, it is part number 0322411.

Regarding the apparently wrong lengths, it appears that unlike my 1990 Johnson 115hp, this 1993 25hp Johnson uses the top deflector to only partially restrict the water flow, since the deflector does not reach all the way to the back of the water passage. Am I right? See picture below:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Argh! Part 0322411 won't go in all the way either. I tried grease and it went further than with STP, but still about 3/8" to go and it won't go any further. A mechanic told me to heat the deflectors in boiling water then to try it. I don't know about that, but I'll try it next. If that does not work, I think I'll try to get a hose I saw that was .360 O.D. Will try all that tomorrow.

Last edited:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's how it was finally solved:

Top Deflector I used the 0322411 deflector from a 115hp, by boiling water and dropping it in the water I was able to get it into it's location using grease.

Bottom port deflector is a short one. I cut a 1.81" long solid Deflector is 28-0335603 from the .360 side, and thus ended with a deflector that was at most .370 at the end, then I greased it and it went in to bottom. I did not heat it.

For the bottom
starboard I bought a piece of .360 hose, excellent cheap deflector material, it had like a 1/16 fuel hole size, a foot cost less than one new deflector. However, it would not go all the way down to bottom. Therefore, I took a Deflector 28-0335603 and sanded it all even at .360, and it being solid went in better than the hose.

End of odyssey!

Last edited:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bottom line, had a just sanded the original deflectors down even with the lowest diameter, I would have avoided all these hassles.