28 HP Johnson Electric start wiring

I have a 1964 28 HP Johnson model RX-12, Serial # J2455104. It was wired for remote control and start. I am going to use it with the tiller and would like to wire it with a start switch on the outboard itself. I have looked over different diagrams and I haven't found one that fits the situation I'm wanting. I want to put a push-to-choke, 3 position key switch on the outboard. I will move the solenoid out of the junction box and mount it somewhere on the block. I will also be installing a lanyard kill-switch. I have created a diagram/schematic and filled it in as best I could. I have included the numbers in the diagram to help any of you explain to me which ones need to be connected and/or added. I believe I'm correct in its wiring thus far, but I'm not sure how to wire the vacuum cut-out switch. In the diagram, I've used a 6 pole switch so I can add accessories to the wiring later. If I decide against that, a 5 pole would work, correct? If so, will it change the wiring? Lastly, to get the battery connection into the outboard, can a trailer connection be used? If yes, can I use a 2 pole connection or should I go with a 7 pole connection and just wire two of them? I will be going with a round connector in either case with 4 gauge wire.

I appreciate all suggestions and will answer any questions any of you might need.

Thanks,

chi_town

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your link takes us to the sign-in page. No good. Anyhow, you need to wire it exactly like you would if the switch were on the dashboard. The physical layout may be different, but the electrical circuitry will remain the same. But one exception: If you use a push-to-choke switch, the separate choke switch won't be used. Instead, you will connect the red choke wire to the choke terminal on the ignition switch.

I am not familiar with a plug-in connector that will accept 4ga wire, but if it will, go for it.

http://s19.postimg.org/u6421mayb/Wiring_1962_64_JE_28hp_With_Electric_Start_Kit_f.jpg

Your link takes us to the sign-in page. No good.]

I've 're-wired' my diagram. Does this look correct to everyone? I know I've modified the kill switch wiring a bit, but it should work as I just need to short the ignition connection (M1 & M2) for it to work correctly.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your diagram looks ok to me. Except for the funky colors. Just kidding. Good to go.