1991V-6 225 HP Johnson

Bill Hendry Sr.

Recruit
Engine Data:<br />SN: G02595448<br />Model Number: VJ225TXEJC<br /> 1991<br /> 25" shaft <br /><br />Problem:<br />This engine came on a used Robalo which I recently purchased. I had the engine running and now I can't pump up the squeeze bulb to gas the engine. I don't know what happended. I installed a new squeeze bulb. Still no pressure.<br /><br />I purchased a shop manual from Solec and there is no help for this problem that I can find.<br /><br />Any assistance will be appreciated.<br /><br />Bill Hendry :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991V-6 225 HP Johnson

Bill.... Make sure the arrow on the bulb is facing towards the engine. Temporarily remove the hose from the out going portion of the bulb, hold the bulb vertical and pump. If fuel now flows to and out the bulb, I would assume that the fuel line had a air lock in it.<br /><br />If still no fuel, I would check for a fuel restriction between the primer bulb and the fuel supply.... perhaps a fuel valve, kinked fuel line, something of that nature.<br /><br />Also check for a sticking anti siphon valve, info listed below.<br /><br />(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)<br /><br />Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vaccum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.<br /> <br />NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models. <br /><br />The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.