1974 135 hp Evinrude Silver Starlite electric tilt doesn't work

Mooney91084

Cadet
I recently bought a tri hull 18ft boat with a 74 rude on it but the electric tilt doesn't work. I can hear the celonoid click when I press the button but the pump doesnt't do anything. I was wondering if it could possibly be low fluid level in the pump of maybe the pump is bad. If it is how much will it cost to replace and can i run the boat without it working?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 135 hp Evinrude Silver Starlite electric tilt doesn't work

Hey mooney....<br /><br />Does the trim work in any direction? Look at the reservoir and see if it has what looks like fins on it. This is a Prestolite set up. Some parts are still available for that one. If the reservoir is straight, that's a Bosh (sp?). Not much available for that one.<br /><br />The solenoid you mentioned is used for "UP" tilt and trim. The "DOWN" part is pretty much a straight shot from the battery through the switch and to the TNT motor. Make sure all your connections are clean.<br /><br />If all looks well, find the connector that connects to the wire harness coming from the TNT motor. There will be three wires in it. A Green which is the down wire, Blue which is up and a black which is ground.<br /><br />Disconnect the connector and with a battery and jumpers, hook the black wire spade in the connector to the Negative side of the battery. With the other jumper connected to the Positive side of the battery, touch the green spade and see if the motor runs in the down direction. Then touch the blue wire spade and see if the engine wants to trim up. If this direct connection doesn't do anything for the motor, then most likely the brushes in the motor need replacement. Good Luck.