1993-2001 85-250hp Johnson/Evinrude Water Pump Repair

Schmie98

Recruit
I'll start with a unique question. There are several youtube videos regarding changing the waterpump on these engines, so I'd advise anyone seeking this topic to start there and come back as needed. My question is regarding removal of the shift rod. These videos make it seem very simple, however, when I try to find the securing screw to remove, there is nothing. Either the head is stripped off, or the 1997 Evinrude E90TSLEUA I'm trying to maintain is different enough to cause problems. On the starboard side of the engine, the shift cables attach to a piston which couples with an actuator arm that moves the shift rod. There is a cotter pin securing some spring washers to another housing. Removing this pin was NOT the solution, and was indeed difficult to replace.

On the port side, what seems to be the same side as shown in the videos, deep in the housing, sits a ?brass? bracket that appears to house the shift rod. On my particular motor, where the screw should be, looks like a headless screw, but I could be imaging things. If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd love to know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You remove the hitch pin.---Then push the shift shaft all the way to the port side.----Rotate the shift shaft to release the shift rod.--Fairly simple.