84 Evinrude prop not spinning after possibly hitting unknown object

dro510

Cadet
Model # E40ELCRM http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...0ELCRM&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase Was riding in what I thought was the middle of a main channel in the Ca Delta False River area at just about full speed and it felt like we hit something.. The motor goes flying in the upward position for a moment (not sure if I had it locked in or not guessing no but thought I did lock the motor in). Turned off the motor examined the prop looked like it was there I thought it was gone. Started the motor right up put in gear but prop did not spin. Water pump is still pumping solid stream. What could the diagnostic be fellas?? With motor off : in netrural, prop spins freely. In forward gear, prop only spins 1/4 way side to side. Really hard to put in reverse. What can it be hope it's not another lower unit..!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like driveshaft broke at pinion.....need to tear it open and inspect.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
possibly a spun hub but will usually drive at low speed and only slip when the power is increased

Mark the prop and the end of the prop shaft. Try to run it. If the marks dont then line up again its the prop hub. .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When the gears / shaft fail the motor will kick up.----Drain the oil and examine the oil for metal bits.

dro510

Cadet
Was expecting the worst bit finally drained the oil and discovered no water or metal shavings, oil looked good. Thinking of calling a mechanic now or what do u guys think?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I think you need to:

1) Check for a spun prop hub.....Vic suggested that already. Actually, if you put it in gear you should be able to see the centre nut turn even if the prop doesn't

~ then ~

2) If not a spun hub, I'm afraid you need to reread Fazbullet's post and open it up......unless you have X-ray specs. :)
Something is broken.

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I agree.
But the prop IS a slim hope and worth checking before cracking the gear case....IMO.