95' Evinrude 60 hp. temp switch problems?

mholtel

Recruit
Had an overheating issue with the alarm on constantly and the tell tail water stream strong. Got towed in and looked into the culprit.
Found a melted t/state and looked still further and found a very bad head gasket. Replaced all defective parts and re surfaced the cylinder head along with a new pump impeller kit.
She runs cooler now but the alarm Is still constantly on.
My question is that I've tried testing the switch but not sure of my results and really not wanting to put out 80 bucks unless I now for sure its not something ive over looked.
please any ideas?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Had an overheating issue with the alarm on constantly and the tell tail water stream strong. Got towed in and looked into the culprit.
Found a melted t/state and looked still further and found a very bad head gasket. Replaced all defective parts and re surfaced the cylinder head along with a new pump impeller kit.
She runs cooler now but the alarm Is still constantly on.
My question is that I've tried testing the switch but not sure of my results and really not wanting to put out 80 bucks unless I now for sure its not something ive over looked.
please any ideas?

I don't know how to correct this, but IF you have to replace it, check this out....I had a switch that turned a light on my dash board that told me when the motor was running "HOT". I added a sending unit on my outboard motor with a gage on the dash board instead of the light. It works great. Motor runs between 145 to 148 degrees. The T-stat opens at 145 degrees. This set up tells me the temp. before it gets hot. It was cheap and real E-Z to install. The sending unit goes on the outboard motor on one of the head bolts on the outside of the power head. One wire runs to the gage in the dash board, and gage needs to be grounded too. Total cost was $30.00. Did the install myself. Nothing to it! MUCH more dependable than the alarm. Don't know how to turn it off, sorry!

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
The temp switch should read open circuit to ground when the engine is cool. Disconnect the tan wire from the switch near the cylinder head and check for continuity to a clean engine ground with an ohmmeter or test light. If it reads a short circuit to ground, replace the switch. If the switch reads open, test the tan wire going to the alarm horn for a short to ground and fix it if' a short exists. The horn itself can also be bad, it should not sound if the tan wire is disconnected from it.