9.9 2000 4 stroke charge question

tony6813

Seaman
I have a 2000 rope start, tiller handle model e10r4sse it did not come with electric start. I have measured voltage from a plug that comes out from under flywheel and I get 70v ac at idle and increases when revs up.there yellow wires and from 1 wire to ground its around 30 v and other is 28v and thats on the ac scale of my volt meter.no readings when on a dc scale. I bought the correct regulator that comes on the electric start model. when I installed regulator and connect it puts out 24 volts dc on red lead 0 -4 volts on purple lead and 0-4 volts on grey lead. All these readings are without a battery hooked up. Will i be able to connect to a battery and charge it? the red lead is for battery and grey is for tach and purple is for ignition those i do not need. Just looking to charge battery as I troll. How do I post pics?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You may want to post this in the Yamaha and Suzuki section of this forum.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The red lead is the battery positive connection but I think for the regulator to function correctly the purple wire will have to be connected.. I believe it is the sensing connection and leaving it disconnected is probably part of the reason you are seeing such a high output voltage,

However the battery charging kit for your engine comes with a simple non regulated rectifier {# 0585081 ) which does not have the grey or purple wires

The electric start version has a different stator coil, and the regulated rectifier # 0584890 Presumably the sator is a higher output and is the reason for the regulated rectifier. I guess this is the rectifier/regulator you have bought.

IMO the best way to post pictures ia via Photobucket. but you should be able to upload them directly.as attachments. I have not tried this since the last so called upgrade of these forums but I notice people have been having difficulty with pictures. There may be a size limit

Lets try a picture as an attachment...,. it was too big!

try another smaller one ...... it worked
DSC02261.JPG

ps thats my backside! Click the thumbnail to see it full size

but dont ask how to get back to view the post .....

Last edited:

tony6813

Seaman
this is just rope start no ignition or tach gauge. With the stator that I have would buying the non reg rectifier work then? another pic try WP_20140912_001.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I think the non regulated rectifier would have been the sensible purchase but AFAIK there is no reason why you cannot use the regulated one, although for it to regulate properly I think you will have to connect the purple wire to a (fused) supply from the battery.

At trolling speed you probably wont get much charging and if you are powering much electrical equipment you will still have to resort to shore based charging or solar.

Looks like more experimentation necessary with the picture posting. It looks like you can choose between a clickable thumbnail, which is what i did, and a range of fixed sizes

BTW I dont think your engine is a re-badged Suzuki so I dont understand the suggestion that you should post on the Suzuki board

Last edited:

tony6813

Seaman
so connect red and purple leads to battery. fuse the purple with what size fuse? It seems that regulator /rectifier is putting out 24v dc will that damage battery? WP_20140912_004.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
3 or 5 amp should be Ok .

Once connected up the volts should be back down to sensible figure even with an unregulated rectifier but they will still tend to rise higher that you'd expect once the battery is charged and there is no load .
With the regulator working they should stay down to 14, or only a little more, maximum.

tony6813

Seaman
thanks for all the help. still trying to best run wires,need to make up some better termination and stuff, I;ll be taking readings when and if I get boat out again. thank you