1997 evinrude 150 ocean pro no fire on starboard bank

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
I have no fire on the starboard bank, compression is good and getting fuel to all carbs any suggestions, I disconnected the shift interruotor and still have no fire on the starboard side thanks guys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect the overheat sensors (both sides) and retest for spark. If that doesn't get it, see if the CDIElectronics web site has further troubleshooting info.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Heat sensors have no effect on spark on a OSI system, unplug the connector at pack with the brown, brn/wht and brn/yell. Make sure plugs are out or hooked to a set of muff as it will start. This bypasses the ignition switch and interuppter..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I was under the impression that an overheat would put the motor in SLOW, where 1/2 the cylinders do not fire. Is that not correct? The Service Manual states that the SLOW system will limit engine RPM to 2500. It is not specific on how it accomplishes this feat.

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
I disconnected both the wires from the shift interrupt one was grounded to the motor and the other to the power pack still no spark on the port side

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to cdielectronics.com for trouble shooting procedures. As a guess you may have a bad stator. Check that first.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
SLOW is really the rev limiter kicking in on pack and it drops ramdom cylinder not a bank. Yes unplug connector from pack to test. Also a bad charge coil will cause, uplug the 6 pin connector on pack and ohm the brn and brn/yell wire and you should see 495-605 resistance

Last edited:

Basin74

Seaman Apprentice
Problem found, power pack was bad changed out and no more issues.

clanton

Rear Admiral
S.L.O.W is activated by temp sensors when temp exceeds 203 degrees, Logic in power pack reduces RPMs to approximately 2500 RPMs.