1940 Evinrude 5.4 HP Outboard Needs Help!

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a 1940 Evinrude outboard, 5.4 HP, 4 cylinders, silver paint, and want to know where to go from here. I bought it thinking it would be an interesting introduction into the world of antique outboards but seem to have hit issues right from the word "GO". It will not even begin to move when I pull the rip cord. A marina near my cottage said this could mean the cylinders are stuck and to try spraying WD 40 into them and letting it sit. I did this and nothing happened. Where can I go from here? Is it even worth doing anything to it? Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1940 Evinrude 5.4 HP Outboard Needs Help!

I think that is a Zephyr if you give us the<br />model number we can pin down the year for sure.<br /> Sounds like a major project though hard to tell<br />from here. <br />Problem could be from sitting or lack of oil or an overheat.<br /> If you have tinkered with motors before,<br /> pull the heads and have a look.Your looking for rust,scoring and such.<br /> Most folks work on these old timers for the<br />joy of it.<br /> A lot of these motors were built but they are<br />a little unusual being 4 cylinder and only 5.4 hp.

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1940 Evinrude 5.4 HP Outboard Needs Help!

The number on the plate is 4362 F 07903. <br /><br />Is there anyway to get a copy of the service and/or parts manual without paying the $80 US I have seen them advertised for?