how to check if power pack is ok

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Johnson 85esl73m just died here the other day,no spark on either cylinders. How do i check the power pack is ok? can it be done with a multimeter?

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a guy that have tons of outboard parts,says that power pack from other specific engines should also work. does anyone know from wich ones?

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can check the power pack with a multimeter but you'll need a DVA adapter. Look on cdi electronics website and it will give you instructions for testing. Not sure which other powerpacks work- just get the #'s off of yours and cross reference them.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok ill check out the adapter. But what other things on this engine can take all 4 sparks at the same time? i have gone over and sanded all grounded wires and checked for loose ones,but all seems ok that way. i found one new power pack cheap on ebay from cdi electronics,think ill just buy that one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Remove the black/yellow wire from the pack and see if you get any spark before replacing.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You will find some excellent free ignition troubleshooting information at this website: cdielectronics.com. Better than the factory manual that year. Statistically, the powerpack if the most frequently failed item. Certainly, I would not recommend replacement based purely on a statistical basis. Since all ignition components are really expensive now, it will pay you to invest some troubleshooting time into checking out all the components, esp the timer base and the stator- first. Eliminating them from consideration goes a long way towards pointing to the pack as the culprit.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the black/yellow wire from the pack and see if you get any spark before replacing.

ok,if it fires up what is the problem then? ill go down to water right now and try that.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...did not help to remove black wire with yellow stripe..

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That eliminated the boat wiring harness. Check post # 6 again.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yep,ill get a flywheel puller and take a look under there. will update the problem when i find it. thanks..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Testing the stator and timer base output while cranking does not require that the flywheel be removed. Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok,after furter inspection the stator has leaked green goo from those two round black plastic housings on stator. stator is taken off engine and will buy a new one. Is it just the retainer in bottom of timer-base i can replace while its off? looks like all the other stuff inside timerbase is not removable? how do i adjust timing to get it 100% when i come to that?

Last edited:

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
edit: can see the two metall spots inside timer-base can be removed by a standar flathead. looks like they can not be bought separatly? they are a little worn..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The timing is to be set according to the factory service manual, requiring the engine to be run under load at rpm's usually at least 4600 rpm's. The max timing degrees may be on a decal on the airbox cover, or may be replicated in the factory service manual. Or: You can get very close if you use the Joe Reeves method in the first (top) thread on this Johnson troubleshooting page, called the "top secret files".