Lithium Grease for Prop Shaft?

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice
Just put new Michigan Wheel prop on my '96 Evinrude 15hp motor. I used white lithium grease applied liberally to shaft and splines. The manual does say use OMC Triple guard grease for this. Is lithium OK? I ran it with muffs on for 4 minutes and shifted gears, all was OK, but I did note grease dripping out of prop a few minutes after I shut it down. Is this normal? Thank you, Wally

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Lithium Grease for Prop Shaft?

The idea behind the shaft being greased is to limit the amount of corrosion that takes place on the metal.<br /><br />If the Shaft corrodes...its very hard to take the prop off.<br /><br />TMD

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice

To Marine Doctor: Yes,I realize the why to greasing prop shaft, but would like to know if using Lithium grease is OK??Thanks, Wally

Thermodude

Cadet

Lithium grease will work fine, but I would use a marine grade of litium grease. Basic lithium grease alone dosnt do a very good job of stopping corosion..............it relys on additives to help it along the way. Thats were the marine grade comes in, it has everything in it that you need to fight corosion. Hope this helps!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ditto thermodude....also, in a pinch, try marine wheel bearing grease for trailers. I've seen this stuff last longer than recommended grease.